October 13/99 5:38 am - Trivia Winner, Milan-Torino
Posted by Editor on 10/13/99
The Winner Is...
Nigel Roberts, who knew the correct answer to the question: "what Canadian company is credited with inventing the bar end?" The answer is Vancouver-based Syncros, who got their start with this seemingly obvious component. Sadly, Syncros is no longer with us, having been sold to GT just in the last couple of months.
Steve Lund, an earlier winner, sent in this interesting story:
"Interestingly enough though, I was a young racer working at Moulden Frameworks in Edmonton. Jim Moulden made some bar-ends and we used them before I ever saw a set of Syncros ones. Sorry I can't remember the date, we didn't patent the idea, and it was only just before the Syncros ones came out that we started playing with them."
Stay tuned for tomorrow's competition, at Noon (EDT), when we give away another video.
Milan - Torino, Italy
1. Markus Zberg (Sui) Rabobank 4:24:55 for 202 km
2. Paolo Bettini (Ita) Mapei-Quick Step
3. Jan Ullrich (Ger) Deutsche Telekom
4. Niklas Axelsson (Swe) Navigare
5. Andrea Noe (Ita) Mapei-Quick Step
6. William Chann McRae (USA) Mapei-Quick Step
7. Dimitri Konyshev (Rus) Mercatone Uno
8. Maximilian Sciandri (Gbr) La Francaise des Jeux
9. Francesco Casagrande (Ita) Vini Caldirola
10. Jean Cyril Robin (Fra) La Francaise des Jeux all s.t.