Posted by Editor on 03/5/00
Visalia Criterium, California
We received a telephone call from a very excited David Cathcart, Elita team manager, to report that his rider Karen Dunne had won this criterium, ahead of Nicole Reinhart (Saturn) and Jenny Eyreman (Jane Cosmetics). All four big teams (Elita, Saturn, Schwab and Autotrader) had full teams in the race, in the pouring rain. Saturn spent much of the early part of the race controlling things, sending Clara Hughes off on a breakaway at one point. But it came down to a sprint. Elita had Annie Gariepy lead out Dunne, who then jumped on Petra Rossner's (Saturn) wheel to take the win. In the Sequoia road race yesterday (Saturday, March 4th), Reinhart won a sprint finish over Cynthisa Ferguson (Alto Velo) and Tina Mayolo (Autotrader). Elita riders finished in the pack: 11th Sophie St Jacqyes, 19. Gariepy and 20. Melanie Dorion.
Canadian Men Impress at U.S. Olympic Qualifier
Canadians stold the show from American riders at the U.S. mountain bike team qualifier in Goodyear, Arizona today, taking 1st, 4th, 6th, 7th and 8th. Andreas hestler (Ford-Devinci) was in the top three until a flat took him out of the race.
1. Roland Green (Can) GT 2:20:13
2. Tinker Juarez (USA) Volvo-Cannondale at 0:18
3. Travis Brown (USA) Trek-Volkswagen 0:53
4. Chris Sheppard (Can) Haro-Lee Dungaree 1:15
5. Jimi Killen (USA) Schwinn-Toyota 2:51
6. Matthew Toulouse (Can) Ford-Devinci 2:59
7. Seamus McGrath (Can) Haro-Lee Dungaree 3:36
8. Mathew Decore (Can) 4:51
9. Pete Swenson (SoBe-Headshok) 5:06
10. Steve Larsen L.L. Bean-Mongoose 5:25
Kidnapped Colombian cyclist Luis Herrera has been released by his captors after being held for 24 hours.
U.S. pro mountain biker Golden Brainard has announced her retirement.
|Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|