Posted by Editoress on 05/28/00
Canada Cup XC #1, Hardwood Hills, ON
courtesy Chrissy Redden
The first of the Canadian National Mountain Bike races rolled into Ontario this weekend. We had dry, cool weather, but the racing was FAST! The course was on a 12 km loop which had an inner, more technical loop surrounded by a fast outer loop. The course was always twisting and turning and the short climbs were relentless. The big spectator spot was a steep, loose gravel descent with many large man-eating boulders getting in the way of lots of spectator pleasing riders. I was just glad to not give them pleasure!!
The Women's Race:
There was a strong field of Canadian women on the line, all gearing up for the upcoming world championships in Spain on the 11th of June. We shared the start time of 1:30pm with the pro men, junior men, expert men, vet expert men and expert women. The start was a road like sprint of 1 1/2 km before we entered the first bit of single track. I (Chrissy Redden, Gary Fisher/Saab), took off fast and never looked back. Marie-Helen Premont, Oryx, stayed on my wheel for the first 3km, then faded back to the rest of the field. I really put the hammer down the whole race, feeling great and finishing strongly in first. Meanwhile, a little ways back, there was a tight battle for the next podium positions. I have Trish Sinclair (Marin/Manitou) here with me now. (Trish eventually finished 3rd). So Trish, how was your race today? "I felt like Luke Skywalker in Return of the Jedi riding my airjet through the forest" So, you had fun today, then? "Ahhhh, yes I had a strong ride with the positions changing between Amber (Chorney, Ford/Devinci) and Melanie (Dorion, Ford/Devinci), so Chrissy what was your secret weapon?" Trish, it was the Gary Fisher "sugar", and well, the Tim Horton's coffee played a part.
The Men's Race:
Because we all rode at the same time, I don't really know too much of the race details, but my hot, hot, hot teammate, Ryder Hesjedal, blasted away the competition. I asked Ryder what his secret today? Laughs, it was the gourmet Pesto Pasta whipped up by chief Seamus McGrath, Haro Bikes (sorry Seamus, dinner was great but I had to take you down!)
Photos From Hardwood Hills Canada Cup
1. Ryder Hesjedal shows how it is done, as he negotiates the technical sections at Hardwood Canada Cup XC #1.
2. Chrissy Redden makes it look easy..
Photos courtesy of Chris Redden
Iron Horse Classic Road Race
1. Scott Price (Can) Landis-Trek 2:10:50
2. Drew Miller (USA) Landis-Trek s.t.
3. Michael Carter (USA) Colorado Velo at 1:07
4. Walker Ferguson (USA) Devo 1:29
5. Ned Overend (USA) Specialized s.t.
6. Eric Jones (USA) Sobe-Headshock 3:14
7. Marc Gullickson (USA) Mongoose 3:52
8. Jess Swiggers (USA) Trek-VW (USA) s.t.
9. John Osguthorpe (USA) Rhodes 7:10
10. Colin Rooney (USA) Team Barbie s.t.
1. Mary Grigson (Aus) Gary Fisher/SAAB 2:43:21
2. Carolyn Donnelly (USA) Landis s.t.
3. Jessica Phillips (USA) 3:51
4. Jennifer Wilson (USA) 7:35
5. Niki Crandall (USA) Jamis 8:23
6. Mary Rosinski (USA) 9:58
7. Heide Anderson (USA) Dean 11:45
8. Allie Warfel (USA) DeFeet 14:12
9. Alisa Moore (USA) Lakewood Racing 14:42
10. Kelli Lusk (USA) 16:25
|Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|