Posted by Editor on 06/28/00
IMBA Launches Redesigned Website
The International Mountain Bicycling Association has launched a newly revamped website at www.imba.com.
IMBA has been on the web since 1996 and www.imba.com has become an important source of information for mountain bike advocates worldwide. The IMBA staff has been adding to the resource continually since its creation, and the large volume of information prompted the redesign effort. The revamped site contains more than 500 pages. A sophisticated search engine allows surfers to pinpoint information quickly.
Elgin Street Classic
In the week leading up to the National Mountain Bike Championships at Camp Fortune, the streets of Ottawa will light up with a another great evening of bike racing. Ottawa's well known Elgin Street will stage the "Fat Tire Sizzler Crit" and the Elgin Street Classic.
6:30 PM Fat Tire Sizzler - 20 minutes + 3 laps of the 1 km course
(last year's winner Julian Hine beat Peter Wedge in a photo finish)
7:30 PM 50 lap Elgin Street Classic
( Last year's winner Charles Dion)
Information call Sportable Bike Shops 613-745-3444 or e-mail John Large at email@example.com
The Mayor of Ottawa was our official starter last year in front of 8,000 -10,000 fans. He enjoyed the races and will be back again this year. A great start to the Championship week. All the roadies in eastern Ontario for the Nationals in Peterborough can come and light it up.
Gears Racing 24 Hours of Summer Solstice or 17 Hours of H20
Despite record rainfalls during the evening portion of the event riders weren't complaining about the shortened 17 hour relay race. The adverse conditions brought out the best in individuals as they worked together and fought through the heaviest rain I have ever witnessed. Riders were amazed at the speed of the course during the first 12 hours until rain turned into a 7 hour downpour flooding trails, campsites and washing out roads. Even Hwy#9 located just North of Bolton was overflowing.
I would like to thank all the staff, ski patrol, timing, sponsors and individuals that helped keep this event safe and fun despite even the worst weather conditions imaginable. This is the first time in the history of 24 Hour Mountain Bike Racing that an event has had to be shortened. The 2000 24 Hours of Summer Solstice is a historical event that will be remembered for a long time!
We ask riders to please stay off the trails during the next couple weeks as we rebuild and shut down certain sections. My brother and I are committed to continue a long-term relationship with Albion Hills for the future of this event and mountain biking.
Thanks to all those who participated in North America's 5th largest 24 Hour and we look forward to seeing you next year!
Happy (dry) trails,
1 Gears Racing #1 19 laps 17:25:1918.5398 km/h
2 Impala Cycles Racing 17 laps 17:13:53
3 Rhyacophila 17 laps 17:41:10
4 Bay Cycle Racing Team B 17 laps 17:56:47
5 Pedal Performance - Pro 17 laps 18:19:39
P.S. Full results posted at www.chicoracing.com . Too bad if you missed the awards ceremony because the mud slide contest was amazing!
Giro d'Italia Femminile
Stage 3 - Cittadella to Valdobbiadene, 94 km
1. Diana Ziliute (Ltu) G.S.F Acca Due O Lorena 2:21:46
2. Leontien Zijlaard-Van Moorsel (Ned) Farm Frites-Hartol
3. Svetlana Boubnenkova (Rus) Edilsavino
4. Zinaida Stahurskaia (Blr) Michela Fanini Record Box
5. Giovanna Troldi (Ita) Edilsavino
6. Oksana Sapryikina (Ukr) Michela Fanini Record Box
7. Sara Felloni (Ita) Team Alfa Lum
8. Simona Parente (Ita) Gas Sport Team
9. Valeria Cappellotto (Ita) Gas Sport Team
10. Joane Somarriba Arrola (Esp) Team Alfa Lum all s.t.
1. Leontien Zijlaard-Van Moorsel (Ned) Farm Frites-Hartol 7:28:25
2. Diana Ziliute (Ltu) G.S.F Acca Due O Lorena
3. Svetlana Boubnenkova (Rus) Edilsavino
4. Sara Felloni (Ita) Team Alfa Lum
5. Oksana Sapryikina (Ukr) Michela Fanini Record Box
6. Zinaida Stahurskaia (Blr) Michela Fanini Record Box
7. Alessandra Cappellotto (Ita) Gas Sport Team
8. Nicole Brandle (Sui) Swiss National Team
9. Alexandra Koliaseva (Rus) Team Alfa Lum
10. Valeria Cappellotto (Ita) Gas Sport Team all s.t.
|Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|