December 17/97 9:01 am - Womens Mtb Team, UCI News
Posted by Editor on 12/17/97
Ontario Womenâ€šs Mountain Bike Team
It would be wonderful if you could post this on your daily news section - any bit of exposure will help me along in a big way!
I have spent the last 2 months gathering feedback from all 174 licensed female riders in Ontario with regards to the formation of an all-female mountain bike race team - the response has been overwhelming (the count is somewhere around 45 replies) and the team is now a definite go! It will consist of a core race team & a fringe club for those who are interested in uprgrading their skills etc...but not so interested in racing. It looks like there will be several chapters based across the province......Now that I know I am going ahead with the project it sure would be a help to let others know of the project & to advise them on how to get a hold of me if they are interested in participating.
permanent mailing address:
115 First Street
A thread has begun on the Forum concerning Top-10 Christmas Lists for cyclists - check it out, and add your own top ten list (who knows, Santa Claus/Clause/Claws may be watching...).
News from the Union Cycliste Internationale
- Spinaci-style handlebar extensions will NOT be legal in mass-start events as of January 1st, 1998 (contrary to various rumours that have been circulating around the internet for the last few weeks). For those who are unfamiliar with this type of bar, the UCI are banning the clip-on bars that are used for aerodynamics. The concerns are that riders do not have as much steering control in crowded situations, and that certain ones could be dangerous (eg, impale another rider in a crash).
- Dual slalom events will receive a higher profile at World Cup Downhill events next season (1998). Called the World Cup Dual, each event will consist of qualifying on the Saturday morning of the World Cup weekend, with the top 32 men and 16 women participating in the final the same evening.
- Below are the Years of Birth for the various categories of riders participating at the Mountain Bike Worlds (in Mont Ste Anne, Quebec) in 1998.
- Junior riders participating in races held in conjunction with World Cups (cross-country) will receive ranking points to be used for UCI world rankings after they enter the senior ranks. The top 5 riders in each race will receive 10-7-5-3-1 points respectively.
- To come: latest UCI world rankings for `cross and track.
|Year of Birth||Category||Remarks|
|1976-1979||Espoir Men||Under 23, XC only|
|1980-1982||Junior DH||Note difference from XC|
|1948 or earlier||Masters 50+|