February 11/98 22:12 pm - New Team, Happy Birthday, Manitoba News, Euro News
Posted by Editor on 02/11/98
New Team for Sheppard
When we were in Victoria last December for the National Team training camp, mountain bike pro Chris Sheppard hinted that he was negotiating with new sponsors (he had been sponsored by Haro), but couldnâ€št say anything at the time. Well, now he can - the team is Team Catera/Pure Energy. Sponsors include Cadillac and Marin bikes - wonder if Chris will get a Caddy to tote around his Marin? (You have to see the car he was driving last December to get this joke...)
Happy Birthday To...
Anne Samplonius, today, February 11th.
The UCI has released a Health and Safety Report concerning haematocrit testing. It makes interesting reading. Go HERE to read what they have to say.
Manitoba News (courtesy MCA)
It looks like all the sites for the cycling events for the 99 Pan-Am games are now set.
The Mountain Bike venue will be at the Birch Ski Area. The new permanent concrete velodrome will be built at Red River Exhibition Park, located next to Assiniboia Downs on the west Perimeter Highway (101) and Hwy 1. The Road Race racecourse for road cycling will be located in Birds Hill Park. A 13 km course, using some of the main access roads, will be laid out. The entire road surface in the park will be rebuilt. Indications are that this will be done for the triathlon test event scheduled for this summer.
The Mountain Bike Commissaries course has been scheduled for May 9 - 10th. This course will include a practical component of working at race on the 10th.
Tour of Majorca
Stage 4 - Trofeo Calaratjada to Cala Millor, 152 kms
1. Elio Aggiano (Ita) Vitalicio Seguros 4:27:56
2. Miguel Angel Martin Perdiguero (Spa) Kelme at 0:02
3. Leon Van Bon (Ned) Rabobank
4. David Etxebarria (Spa) ONCE
5. Nico Mattan (Bel) Mapei all s.t.
1. Van Bon 14:33:31
2. Tom Steels (Bel) Mapei at 0:04
3. Andreas Klier (Ger) Nurnberger
4. Wilfried Peeters (Bel) Mapei both s.t.
5. Miguel Angel Martin Perdiguero (Spa) Kelme 0:17
Tour of the Mediterraean, France
Stage 1 - Antibes to Toulon, 147 kms
1. Francesco Casagrande (Ita) Cofidis 3:31:06
2. Rodolfo Massi (Ita) Casino s.t.
3. Mirko Celestino (Ita) Team Polti at 0:15
4. Eddy Mazzoleni (Ita) Saeco-Cannondale 0:38
5. Patrick Jonker (Ned) Rabobank 0:40