Posted by Editoress on 08/16/01
La Bicicletta Midweek Series
Courtesy Peter Hurley
Event # 17 Handicap Race
Sponsored by Schwinn, Trillium Foundation
40 laps of modified north course, 0.9 km circuit, 36 km
TIME 52:20, 41.2 km/h
(Prelimnary results, to be confirmed next week)
1. Brent Aquino (Pavan - MA) 52:20
2. Kevin Speacht (Go - SR1) at 0:09
3. Craig Webster (Ind. - MA) st
4. David Fry (RNH - SR1) at 0:13
5. Andrew Pinfold (Ital Pasta - SR1) at 0:19
6. Mike Ybanez (RNH - SR1) at 1:14
7. Ed Makarchuk (HRT - MA) st
8. #286 at 1 lap
9. Chris Kiziak (HRT - MA) st
10. Garnet Abbey (HRT - MA) st
Series points will be updated next week.
An event at the Hershey Centre attracted several hundred cars and dramatically reduced the space available for the race. The course was a very technical 0.9 km, and proved to be very challenging, particularly for those concentrating on the Provincial Championships this weekend. The handicap group was caught on lap 10, and the race broke apart shortly after that. A lead group of 5 dominated the final 20 laps, with Brent Aquino breaking away with 1 lap to go for the victory.
With the large number of cars, marshalling was very important so special thanks to our marshal organizer, Tina Mayberry, and novice riders Drew Harvie and Leo St. Germaine, who stayed after their race to help out. Thanks to Lisa Gilis (HRT) for timing and finish recording and Kit McC for registration and cone pick-up.
|Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|