Posted by Editoress on 06/3/03
Wachovia Cycling Series
Courtesy Team Saturn
Jacob Storm Piil won the first stop of the Wachovia Cycling Series today in Lancaster, PA in miserable, chilly, soaking conditions. Despite the weather, thousands lined the wet streets to cheer for one of the most competitive fields of 163 assembled for the first of two races in the build up to the US PRO Championships on Sunday in Philadelphia. However, in an incredible testament to the test mother nature posed today, only 23 riders finished the 91 mile race.
Piil won the race solo, attacking out of a group of nine with two laps to go. The 1999 Lancaster winner immediately put a minute into the chasing group, and at the finish had over 1:10 on second place Mark McCormack. Piil's group established itself after a series of aggressive moves from the Saturn Cycling Team, the most notable of which was Nathan O'Neill's three lap solo attempt. O'Neill gained over a minute on the field, but the powerful teams such as Piil's CSC team kept him within easy reach. A fairly substantial group bridged to Saturn's O'Neill, forming what was to become the winning race move.
With two laps to go, Piil attacked. McCormack and his Saturn teammate Chris Horner made a valiant effort to bring him back, but outnumbered by Piil's CSC teammates, McCormack and Horner's efforts were in vain. Piil soloed in with the crowd cheering him every pedal stroke to the finish line. In the sprint for second, McCormack took the win over Julian Dean (CSC). Fourth was US Postal's Mathew White.
The second race of the three race series is Thursday in Trenton, NJ.
1. Jakob Piil (Den) Team CSC, 3.23.42
2. Mark McCormack (USA) Saturn Cycling Team, at 1.18
3. Julian Dean (NZl) Team CSC
4. Matthew White (Aus) US Postal presented by Berry Floor
5. John Lieswyn (USA) 7UP / Maxxis
6. Uros Murn (Slo) Formaggi Pinzolo FiavÃƒÂ©
7. Geert Van Brondt (Bel) Team CSC, all s.t.
8. David Clinger (USA) Prime Alliance Cycling Team, 3.19
9. Chris Horner (USA) Saturn Cycling Team
10. Jimmi Madsen (Den) Team CSC, 3.53
11. Oleg Grishkine (Rus) Navigators Cycling Team
12. Michael Barry (Can) US Postal presented by Berry Floor
13. Danny Pate (USA) Prime Alliance Cycling Team
14. Max Van Heeswijk (Ned) US Postal presented by Berry Floor, all s.t.
15. Viktor Rapikski (Blr) Saturn Cycling Team, 5.49
16. Charles Dionne (Can) Saturn Cycling Team, s.t.
17. Adam Livingston (USA) Schroeder Iron Cycling Team , 7.13
18. Matt Dubberley (USA) Sierra Nevada-Clif Bar, 10.16
19. Alan Iacuone (Aus) Flanders-IteamNova.com , 10.21
20. Jeff Louder (USA) Navigators Cycling Team
21. Christopher Baldwin (USA) Navigators Cycling Team , 13.09
22. Ciaran Power (Irl) Navigators Cycling Team
23. Troy White (USA) Sierra Nevada-Clif Bar, both s.t.
|Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|