Posted by Editor on 07/24/98
After a 2 hour sitdown strike at the start by the riders (unhappy over media coverage of the Festina drug scandal), a break by Laurent Jalabert (ONCE), Nicolas Jalabert (Cofidis) and Bart Voskamp (TVM) has gained nearly 5 minutes on the peleton with 100 kilometres to go. This makes Laurent Jalabert the overall race leader on the road. However, the remainder of the stage is downhill or flat, so once the pack gets rolling they should be scooped up pretty quick.
MOTOROLA INTERNATIONAL CYCLING CLASSIC, July 17-26, Wisconsin
Women - Oneida Recreation Road Race, July 22, 44 miles
1. SUSY PRYDE (SAECO-TIMEX), Auckland, New Zealand
2. Dede Demet (Saturn), Boulder, Colo.
3. Elizabeth Emery (Saturn), New York, N.Y.
4. Maria Hassan (New Zealand), New Zealand
5. Emily Robbins (Saturn), Littleton, Colo.
Men - Titletown Challenge, July 22, 100 miles
1. CHANN MCRAE (SATURN), Plano, Texas
2. Jon Wirsing (Snow Valley), Crofton, Md.
3. Shane Thellman (BMC-WalMart), Greenwood, Ark.
4. Olin Bakke (Shaklee), Sierra Madre, Calif.
5. Jans Koerts (Rabobank), Belgium
7. Michael Barry (Saturn), Toronto, Ont., Canada
9. Brian Walton (Saturn), N. Delta, B.C., Canada
|Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|