March 31/05 6:06 am - Redlands Bicycle Classic: Stage 1 ITT
Posted by Editoress on 03/31/05
Progel Redlands Bicycle Classic
Courtesy Quark Cycling
Christine Thorburn (Webcor) overcame a very difficult field as well as winds gusting to over 50 mph to win the Watermaker Mount Rubidoux Time Trial in the opening stage of the ProGel Redlands Bicycle Classic. Thorburn was the only rider to break the 10:00 minute mark posting a time of 9:59 for the 5 Km prologue.
Not only did Thorburn pull the leaders jersey over her national time trial champions jersey, she also earned a starting position for The Pan/American games to be held the last week of April.
Four seconds back in second place was T-Mobile's Kristen Armstrong followed by Genevieve Jeanson riding for the Bicycle Store. Quark riders Annette Beutler and Tina Pic had solid rides and are lurking just 25 and 35 seconds back in 7th and 9th place respectively.
The riders will face the 77 mile Sun Oak Glen road race on Friday whose finishing climb is sure to create some excitement amongst the GC leaders.
Watermaker Mount Rubidoux Time Trial: 5km
1. Christine Thorburn (Webcor) 9:59
2. Kristen Armstrong (T-Mobile) 10:03
3. Genevieve Jeanson (Bicycle Store) 10:06
4. Kim Baldwin (T-Mobile) 10:08
5. Erinne Willock (Webcor) 10:21
6. Lyne Gaggiloi (Monex) 10:25
7. Annette Beutler (Quark Cycling 10: 25
8. Ina-Yoko Teutenberg (T-Mobile) 10:31
9. Tina Pic (Quark Cycling 10:31
10. Felica Greer (Webcor)