October 20/05 1:31 am - Cycling Participation Benefits Canada, Ride with Dave Zabriskie
Posted by Editor on 10/20/05
Sports Participation Benefits Canada
The Conference Board of Canada has released a detailed study titled: "Strengthening Canada - The Socio-Economic Benefits of Sports Participation in Canada". The full report can be accessed Here, but the highlights of the report are:
* Cycling is 12th among sports for active participants, with 549,000 adults (2.2% of the population), 75,000 more participants than running. It should be noted that this does NOT include cycling as a recreational activity, commuting, etc. A separate study found that one in five Canadians had cycled within the last three months. Significantly, cycling was much lower for volunteer involvement.
* Household spending on sports has a significant impact on the Canadian economy, accounting for nearly $16 billion in 2004 (2.2% of consumer spending and 1.2% of GDP) and 2% of employment is related to sports.
* Sport is a significant contributor to good health, and builds a wide set of transferable skills that are important in work and life.
* Despite its benefits, adult participation in sport has been declining gradually since at least 1992.
A Day in Yellow with Dave Zabriskie
Victoria, B.C. October 19, 2005 Ë† Team Giga-Bike is presenting a "Day in Yellow with Dave Zabriskie" on Saturday, November 19, 2005. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be one of thirty cyclists to join professional racer Dave Zabriskie on a brisk and scenic 50-km ride during the annual Team Giga-Bike fundraising ride in Victoria, B.C. Team Giga-Bike offers you a rare opportunity to ride shoulder-to-shoulder with the fastest Tour de France stage winner in history while supporting your local Vancouver Island junior/espoir development team.
After the ride, enjoy a private dinner at the head table with Dave Zabriskie. Enjoy the food while socializing with Dave and other yellow-jersey sponsor participants. Team Giga-Bike will unveil its new sponsors and team for the 2006 season during dinner.
After dinner, join Dave Zabriskie for a private screening of the documentary "Overcoming", as it follows Team CSC's 2004 race season.
Tickets are already selling for this limited event and cost $250. One of the 20 tickets available for "A Day in Yellow" entitles you to the following:
1. 1 of 30 spots on the 50 km ride
2. 1 of 30 seats in a private dinner with Dave Zabriskie
3. $25 Gift Certificate from Willie's Bakery
4. One Giga-Bike Training-Log Software CD-Rom
5. One Pair of 'the Sock Guy' brand Giga-Bike cycling socks
6. One 8" X 10" photograph of you with Dave Zabriskie at the Dinner
7. One 8" X 10" autographed photo of Dave Zabriskie
Ten special spots are available by bidding online to be an official Team Giga-Bike Yellow Jersey Sponsor. Yellow Jersey Sponsors include all the above, as well as:
1. One autographed Nike Tour de France Yellow Jersey
2. One autographed Team CSC Water Bottle
3. One autographed Team CSC Cycling Cap
A Pro jersey Fundraising Auction is posted on www.teamgigabike.com which allows you to bid on donated merchandise from professional cyclists. The money raised from the auction will go to Team Giga-Bike's Youth Development Fund. Professional Cyclist Roland Green - 2X World MTB Champion, Melanie McQuaid - Xterra World Champion, Erinne Willock Ë† Webcor Builders and Tony Zarsadias Ë† Former member of Team Symmetrics have all donated autographed jerseys to the auction. More pro jerseys will be posted throughout the month leading up to the event.
"I'm a proud supporter and believer in Team Giga-Bike's youth development program. I started the same way here in Victoria, B.C. as a junior cyclist at age fourteen under the coaching of Team Giga-Bike's Head Coach Steve Lund. Having support and development early has been the secret to my own success as a professional cyclist today". Erinne Willock, Webcor Builders Ë† 2005 Best Young Rider, U.S. Women's Prestige Cycling Series
In addition, Cycling enthusiasts will have a chance to meet Dave Zabriskie between 11:00am and 12:00pm on Sunday, November 20, 2005 and get an autograph. An 8"X10" Autograph card will be provided, and donations will be accepted at the door.
Team Giga-Bike (www.teamgigabike.com) is a Victoria based cycling team (formerly TeenSpeed Cycling Team) dedicated to the development of young athletes at the cadet, junior and espoir levels. Team Giga-Bike participates year round in Road, Track and Mountain Bike events in Victoria, BC and the Pacific Northwest.