Posted by Editor on 10/20/05
Sports Participation Benefits Canada
The Conference Board of Canada has released a detailed study titled: "Strengthening Canada - The Socio-Economic Benefits of Sports Participation in Canada". The full report can be accessed Here, but the highlights of the report are:
* Cycling is 12th among sports for active participants, with 549,000 adults (2.2% of the population), 75,000 more participants than running. It should be noted that this does NOT include cycling as a recreational activity, commuting, etc. A separate study found that one in five Canadians had cycled within the last three months. Significantly, cycling was much lower for volunteer involvement.
* Household spending on sports has a significant impact on the Canadian economy, accounting for nearly $16 billion in 2004 (2.2% of consumer spending and 1.2% of GDP) and 2% of employment is related to sports.
* Sport is a significant contributor to good health, and builds a wide set of transferable skills that are important in work and life.
* Despite its benefits, adult participation in sport has been declining gradually since at least 1992.
A Day in Yellow with Dave Zabriskie
Victoria, B.C. October 19, 2005 Ã‹â€ Team Giga-Bike is presenting a "Day in Yellow with Dave Zabriskie" on Saturday, November 19, 2005. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be one of thirty cyclists to join professional racer Dave Zabriskie on a brisk and scenic 50-km ride during the annual Team Giga-Bike fundraising ride in Victoria, B.C. Team Giga-Bike offers you a rare opportunity to ride shoulder-to-shoulder with the fastest Tour de France stage winner in history while supporting your local Vancouver Island junior/espoir development team.
After the ride, enjoy a private dinner at the head table with Dave Zabriskie. Enjoy the food while socializing with Dave and other yellow-jersey sponsor participants. Team Giga-Bike will unveil its new sponsors and team for the 2006 season during dinner.
After dinner, join Dave Zabriskie for a private screening of the documentary "Overcoming", as it follows Team CSC's 2004 race season.
Tickets are already selling for this limited event and cost $250. One of the 20 tickets available for "A Day in Yellow" entitles you to the following:
1. 1 of 30 spots on the 50 km ride
2. 1 of 30 seats in a private dinner with Dave Zabriskie
3. $25 Gift Certificate from Willie's Bakery
4. One Giga-Bike Training-Log Software CD-Rom
5. One Pair of 'the Sock Guy' brand Giga-Bike cycling socks
6. One 8" X 10" photograph of you with Dave Zabriskie at the Dinner
7. One 8" X 10" autographed photo of Dave Zabriskie
Ten special spots are available by bidding online to be an official Team Giga-Bike Yellow Jersey Sponsor. Yellow Jersey Sponsors include all the above, as well as:
1. One autographed Nike Tour de France Yellow Jersey
2. One autographed Team CSC Water Bottle
3. One autographed Team CSC Cycling Cap
A Pro jersey Fundraising Auction is posted on www.teamgigabike.com which allows you to bid on donated merchandise from professional cyclists. The money raised from the auction will go to Team Giga-Bike's Youth Development Fund. Professional Cyclist Roland Green - 2X World MTB Champion, Melanie McQuaid - Xterra World Champion, Erinne Willock Ã‹â€ Webcor Builders and Tony Zarsadias Ã‹â€ Former member of Team Symmetrics have all donated autographed jerseys to the auction. More pro jerseys will be posted throughout the month leading up to the event.
"I'm a proud supporter and believer in Team Giga-Bike's youth development program. I started the same way here in Victoria, B.C. as a junior cyclist at age fourteen under the coaching of Team Giga-Bike's Head Coach Steve Lund. Having support and development early has been the secret to my own success as a professional cyclist today". Erinne Willock, Webcor Builders Ã‹â€ 2005 Best Young Rider, U.S. Women's Prestige Cycling Series
In addition, Cycling enthusiasts will have a chance to meet Dave Zabriskie between 11:00am and 12:00pm on Sunday, November 20, 2005 and get an autograph. An 8"X10" Autograph card will be provided, and donations will be accepted at the door.
Team Giga-Bike (www.teamgigabike.com) is a Victoria based cycling team (formerly TeenSpeed Cycling Team) dedicated to the development of young athletes at the cadet, junior and espoir levels. Team Giga-Bike participates year round in Road, Track and Mountain Bike events in Victoria, BC and the Pacific Northwest.
|Return to Canadian Cyclist homepage | Back to Top|