November 27/05 3:51 am - New President for CCA
Posted by Editor on 11/27/05
New President for CCA
Pierre Blanchard of Quebec has been elected as the President of the Canadian Cycling Association. Blanchard takes over from Bill Kinash of Saskatchewan. Kinash steered the CCA through considerable changes since his election in 2002, including the 2003 Hamilton Road Worlds, the removal of Director-General Pierre Hutsebaut, a new constitution and the hiring of numerous new staff (including the Chief Operating Officer, Steve Lacelle).
Blanchard is best known to the Canadian cycling community for his work as an official - he has worked the Tour de France, Olympics, World Championships and many other major cycling events, both road and mountain bike. He is a physician, and a member of the UCI Mountain Bike Commission. Blanchard is also the President of the FQSC (Quebec provincial federation), a position he will now have to relinquish.
In other elections, both Lesley Tomlinson and Aaron Hershoff were re-elected to the Board, Jeff Ingram was elected as the BMX Rep for the Athlete and Coach Development Committee, and Mathieu Boucher was elected to the Events Committee as the BMX Rep. In an ealier news item we listed the Committee members who were elected by acclaimation:
- Disability Programs Rep: Brian Cowie (acclaimed)
- National Team Rep: Denise Kelly
- National Team Athlete Rep: to be voted on later by national team athletes (Dominique Perras current rep)
Athlete & Coach Development
- Chair: Lister Farrar (acclaimed)
- Road & Track Rep: Francis Paradis (acclaimed)
- Mountain Bike Rep: Kevin McCuish (acclaimed)
- Chair: Wayne Pomario (acclaimed)
- Mountain Bike Rep: Jim Bratrud (acclaimed)