September 17/06 9:45 am - IPC Time Trial Championships Day 2
Posted by Editor on 09/17/06
IPC Time Trial Championships Day 2 - Aigle, Switzerland
Report courtesy CCA
Jean Quévillon (Sainte-Adèle, QC) was fourth in the CP 3 division time trial Saturday, while Lisa Stowe (Calgary, AB) took fifth in the Road Paralympic Worlds in Aigle, Switzerland.
Quebec's Jean Quévillon placed fourth with a time of 26:45.07 in the 16.8 km. The race was won by Javier Ochoa of Spain, in 24:45.21. Brayden McDougall (Calgary, AB) was ninth with a time of 28:16.32. Quévillon will also take part in the road race on Monday.
Lisa Stowe (Calgary, AB) had a personal best effort of 27:35.62 in the 16.8 km Women's LC 1 race, where she finished fifth. Clare McLean of Australia won the race in a time of 25:53.01.
"Both Lisa and Jean were proud of their efforts, but wished they could have done a little better," said CCA's National Paralympic Team Manager Larry McDougall.
In the Men's Tandem race, Brian Cowie (Burnaby, BC) and his pilot Alberta's Devon Smibert were 10th out of a field of 39, with a time of 32:48.16. Stéphane Côté (Charlesbourg, QC) and Pierre-Olivier Boily (Sherbrooke, QC) were 12th with a time of 32:57.49 and Gene Della Siega (Surrey, BC) and Craig Deveer (Ottawa, ON) were 17th with a time of 33:31.78. Francisco Gonzalez of Spain was the winner with a time 31:12.35.
A 12th place finish was a great performance for Côté and Boily, racing partners for the past six years, considering Boily's car accident in early January. The duo will also be on the starting line with 40 other tandem teams for the 104.4 km road race on Monday.
"The course was technical, with many turns and quite narrow, which was great for us. We're not afraid of taking risks, which enabled us to turn at a higher speed", said Boily of Bromont (QC).
Shawn Marsolais (Burnaby, BC) and Clare Cameron (Delta, BC) were 14th in the Women's Tandem race with a time of 26:31.75 over the 16.8 km distance. Karissa Whitsell and Katherine Compton (USA) won the race with a time of 23:55.00.
Tomorrow (Sunday) the road races start, with Ricco Morneau and Mark Beggs (both of Montreal, QC) in the Hand Cycle (HC) B 46-km race. Mark Breton (Charlesbourg, QC) has an 81.2 LC 1 race and Eric Bourgault will be competing in a 69.6 km LC 2 road race on Sunday.
Men's CP 3
1. Javier Ochoa, ESP, with a time of 24:45:21
2. Darren Kenny, GBR
3. Maurice Eckard, ESP
4. Jean Quévillon, CAN, at 1:59:86
9. Brayden McDougall, CAN, at 3:31:11
Women's LC 1
1. Claire McLean, AUS, with a time of 25:53:01
2. Sarah Bailey, GBR
3. Ju Fang Zhou, CHN
5. Lisa Stowe, CAN, at 1:42:61
1. Karissa Whitsell and Katherine Compton, USA, with a time of 23:55:00
2. Cinzia Couluzzi and Giovanna Troldi, ITA
3. Iryana Parkhamovich and Alesia Belaichuk, BLR
14.Shawn Marsolais (and Clare Cameron, CAN, at 2:36:75
1. Francisco Gonzalez and Juan Francisco Suarez, ESP, with a time of 31:12:35
2. Moisés Osuna and Jesus Sacido, ESP
3. Marc Eymard and Yves Godimus, BEL
10. Brian Cowie and Devon Smibert, CAN, at 1:35:81
12. Stéphane Côté and Pierre-Olivier Boily, CAN, at 1:45:14
17. Gene Della Siega and Craig Deveer, CAN, at 2:19:43